Among the vine-draped landscapes of Alicante, Spain, Bodegas Enrique Mendoza stands as a beacon of the region’s wine excellence. Renowned for their dedication to producing high-quality wines and their commitment to sustainable practices, this family-owned winery presents a compelling narrative of passion, innovation, and respect for terroir. This article delves into the captivating world of Bodegas Enrique Mendoza.
The Mendoza Journey
Bodegas Enrique Mendoza’s journey dates back to 1970 when Enrique Mendoza Sr., a wine enthusiast, planted his first vineyards in his hometown of L’Alfàs del Pi, Alicante. The winery started as a personal hobby, with the first commercial vintage not produced until 1989. Since then, under the guidance of Enrique Mendoza Jr., the winery has risen to become one of the most esteemed wine producers in the Alicante region and beyond.
Respect for Terroir
One of the defining aspects of Bodegas Enrique Mendoza is their respect for the terroir. The winery owns two vineyards, each with a unique microclimate and soil composition.
The ‘Finca Chaconero’ vineyard is located in Villena, a region with a continental climate and limestone soils. It is the perfect environment for growing Monastrell (known as Mourvèdre in France), the star grape variety of the bodega. Here, the vines are grown organically, reflecting the winery’s commitment to sustainable viticulture.
On the other hand, the ‘Finca El Chaconero’ vineyard, located near the winery’s cellar in L’Alfàs del Pi, is dedicated to international grape varieties like Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Syrah. The Mediterranean climate and soil rich in clay and gravel provide optimal growing conditions for these grapes.
A Commitment to Quality
Quality is at the heart of Bodegas Enrique Mendoza’s philosophy. From the vineyard to the bottle, every step of the winemaking process is meticulously executed to ensure that the wines are an authentic expression of the grape and the terroir.
The winery follows the traditional principles of winemaking, from manual harvesting to the use of French and American oak barrels for ageing. They also limit the production to a maximum of five thousand kilos of grapes per hectare, ensuring that each vine is given ample resources to produce high-quality grapes.
Bodegas Enrique Mendoza’s wine offerings are a celebration of both local and international grape varieties. Their Monastrell wines are particularly lauded for their complexity, structure, and the characteristic expression of the terroir.
Among their notable wines is the ‘Estrecho’ Monastrell, a single-varietal wine made from old vines. This wine beautifully showcases the characteristics of the Monastrell grape with its deep color, ripe fruit aromas, and structured palate.
Their ‘Santa Rosa’ is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Petit Verdot, offering a harmonious union of fruit and wood notes, while their Chardonnay wines reveal the potential of this international grape in the Alicante terroir.
Visiting Bodegas Enrique Mendoza
Bodegas Enrique Mendoza welcomes visitors for tours and tastings. A guided tour of the winery offers an in-depth look at the winemaking process, from the vineyard to the ageing cellars. The visit culminates in a tasting of their exquisite wines, providing a comprehensive understanding of the winery’s ethos and dedication to quality.
How to get to Bodega Enrique Mendoza from Javea
Traveling from the vibrant coastal town of Javea to Bodega Enrique Mendoza situated near L’Alfàs del Pi offers an experience as enjoyable as the destination itself. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to get there:
Traveling by car is the most direct and convenient option, with the journey taking approximately 1 hour, covering a distance of about 70 kilometers.
- Start from the heart of Javea, heading south on Carretera Cabo La Nao Pla toward Avinguda del Pla/CV-740.
- Turn left onto Avinguda del Pla/CV-740. Continue to follow CV-740.
- At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit onto Carrer de la Fontana/CV-734 heading to Gata de Gorgos/N-332. Continue to follow CV-734.
- Once you reach Gata de Gorgos, take the 3rd exit at the roundabout onto the N-332 ramp to Ondara/Valencia.
- Merge onto N-332 and continue on this road for about 35 kilometers.
- Take the exit toward CV-763. At the roundabout, take the 3rd exit onto CV-763.
- Continue onto CV-761, then CV-763 again.
- Take a slight right onto CV-770.
- At the roundabout, take the 1st exit onto Avinguda Pais Valencià/N-332 heading to Benidorm/Alicante. Continue to follow N-332.
- Take the exit toward Alfaz del Pi.
- At the roundabout, take the 3rd exit onto CV-7632.
- Continue onto Camí Vell d’Altea.
- Turn right onto Partida el Romeral, and Bodega Enrique Mendoza will be on the right.
By Public Transport:
Although the journey by public transport is longer, it is a feasible option for those who prefer not to drive. The journey involves a combination of bus and tram rides, and the total travel time can range between 2-3 hours depending on waiting times.
- From Javea, take the ALSA bus heading towards Alicante. The bus station in Javea is located on Avenida del Pla.
- Get off at the bus stop in Benidorm.
- From Benidorm, take the tram (Line 9) towards Denia.
- Get off at the tram stop L’Alfàs del Pi.
- From L’Alfàs del Pi, Bodega Enrique Mendoza is about 2 km away, which can be covered by a local taxi or a pleasant walk.
Whether you choose to drive or use public transport, your journey from Javea to Bodega Enrique Mendoza promises a delightful experience, leading you through the picturesque landscapes of the Costa Blanca. It offers an opportunity to appreciate the region’s beauty before reaching the bodega, where you can immerse yourself in their exquisite wine offerings.
Bodegas Enrique Mendoza: A Testament to Alicante’s Winemaking Potential
Bodegas Enrique Mendoza, with its dedication to quality, respect for terroir, and sustainable practices, is a testament to the winemaking potential of Alicante. Through their wines, they tell a story of the land and their passion, inviting wine lovers to discover and appreciate the nuances and character of the Alicante terroir. Whether you’re a seasoned wine enthusiast or a curious explorer, a journey into Bodegas Enrique Mendoza’s world is sure to leave a lasting impression.