Sobrassada is a traditional Spanish sausage that is typically made from pork and originates from the island of Mallorca, located in the Balearic Islands. It is a type of cured sausage that is made by grinding pork meat and pork fat together, and then adding spices and paprika. The mixture is then stuffed into a natural pork casing and left to cure for a period of time.
The history of Sobrassada dates back to the 14th century, when the island of Mallorca was ruled by the Moors. They brought with them the technique of curing meats, which was then adopted by the local farmers. The sausage was traditionally made by farmers during the winter months, using the pork that was left over from the pig slaughter.
Sobrassada – how is it made?
Sobrassada is made from high-quality pork meat and pork fat, and is typically seasoned with a mixture of spices such as pepper, cumin, and salt. Paprika, which gives the sausage its characteristic red color and smoky flavor, is also added. The sausage is then stuffed into natural pork casings and left to cure for a period of time, which can vary from a few weeks to several months depending on the desired flavor and texture.
Sobrassada is a versatile sausage that can be enjoyed in a variety of ways. It can be sliced and eaten on its own, or it can be used as an ingredient in a variety of dishes. It is often used as a topping for pizza or pasta, or as a filling for sandwiches. It can also be grilled or fried and served as a tapa or a main dish, along with bread and cheese.
Sobrassada is a staple in the cuisine of the Balearic Islands, and can be found in many markets and delis throughout Spain. It is also exported to other countries, where it has become popular among food enthusiasts.
Making Sobrassada at home is a bit more complicated and requires some special equipment, but you can find some recipes online with step by step instructions. You will need a meat grinder, a sausage stuffer, and pork casings.
- 5 pounds pork shoulder, cut into chunks
- 2 pounds pork fat, cut into chunks
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup red wine
- Pork casings, soaked in water
Instructions how to make Sobrassada
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the pork shoulder and pork fat chunks. Add in the garlic, paprika, black pepper, cumin, nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, salt, and red wine. Mix well until the meat is evenly coated with the spices.
- Grind the meat mixture through a coarse grinder plate.
- Stuff the meat mixture into the soaked pork casings, leaving enough space at the end of each sausage to tie it off.
- Hang the sausages in a cool, well-ventilated place for about 2-3 weeks to allow the sausages to cure and dry.
- Once the sausages are cured and dried, they are ready to be sliced and eaten. They can be stored in the refrigerator for several months.
- Serve the Sobrass
In conclusion, Sobrassada is a traditional Spanish sausage that originates from the island of Mallorca. It is made from pork meat and pork fat, and is seasoned with a mixture of spices and paprika. Sobrassada is a versatile sausage that can be enjoyed in a variety of ways, and it is a staple in the cuisine of the Balearic Islands. Although it can be a bit complicated to make at home, it is worth the effort to try this delicious and traditional Spanish sausage.