Nestled between the bustling Playa de San Juan and the urban Playa del Postiguet lies a lesser-known but equally enchanting beach – Playa de Almadraba. This charming beach, tucked away from the larger crowds, offers a tranquil escape within Alicante’s vibrant coastal scene. In this article, we’ll explore the allure of Playa de Almadraba and why this serene spot deserves a place on your Alicante itinerary.
A Tranquil Retreat
Situated to the north of Alicante’s city center, Playa de Almadraba is a haven for those seeking a quieter beach experience. Its relatively secluded location makes it less frequented than its larger neighbors, providing a more peaceful atmosphere for visitors.
The beach, stretching over 800 meters, is characterized by a mixture of fine golden sand and pebbles, bordered by calm, clear waters of the Mediterranean Sea. Its serene setting and stunning natural beauty make Playa de Almadraba an ideal spot for relaxation and contemplation. Read also the best beaches in Alicante city
Natural Charm and Beauty
One of the most appealing aspects of Playa de Almadraba is its unspoiled beauty. The beach’s backdrop features a blend of charming residential buildings and a hint of the city’s verdant greenery, offering a unique urban-nature hybrid environment.
The waters here are typically calm, providing excellent conditions for swimming or just cooling off in the summer heat. Its clear blue sea also hosts a variety of marine life, making it a popular spot for snorkeling.
Amenities and Activities
While Playa de Almadraba may be smaller and quieter, it doesn’t lack essential facilities. The beach offers amenities such as showers and toilets, along with easy access for people with disabilities.
As for activities, the tranquil waters make it a fantastic location for paddleboarding and kayaking. It’s also an excellent place to enjoy a beachside picnic or to lose yourself in a good book.
Nearby, you’ll find a selection of eateries and beach bars known as ‘chiringuitos’. Here, you can savor delicious Spanish cuisine while enjoying a view of the beach. Whether it’s a hearty paella, fresh seafood, or a refreshing ‘horchata’ – a typical Valencian beverage made from tigernuts – you’re sure to find something that pleases your palate.
Playa de Almadraba is easily reachable from Alicante city center. You can take bus number 22 or the tram (Line 3 or 4) and get off at the “Costa Blanca” stop, from which it’s just a short walk to the beach. If you’re driving, there’s street parking available in the vicinity of the beach.
How to get to Playa de Almadraba in Alicante from Javea
Journeying from Javea to Playa de Almadraba in Alicante involves a straightforward route, whether you choose to drive or use public transportation. Here’s how to navigate the journey:
- Start from Javea, heading west on Av. del Pla towards Carrer de la Mar.
- Continue onto Av. de Ondara/CV-734.
- At the roundabout, take the 3rd exit onto the A-70 ramp to Alicante.
- Merge onto A-70 and continue for about 70 kilometers.
- Take exit 6 towards Puerto to enter Alicante city.
- Follow Av. de Denia, Av. de Juan Bautista Lafora, and Av. de Villajoyosa.
- Finally, take Av. de Niza and continue onto Carrer de Tridente where you will find Playa de Almadraba.
- From Javea, take the ALSA bus service to Alicante. The bus station in Javea is located at Avenida del Pla, 122.
- You will arrive at Alicante’s central bus station (Estación de Autobuses de Alicante).
- From the bus station, take bus line 21 or 22 towards Playa de San Juan.
- Get off at the ‘Almadraba’ stop, which is right by the beach.
The total journey time by bus is approximately 2 to 3 hours, depending on the service. Make sure to check the latest schedules on the ALSA website or at the bus station.
By Bus and Tram:
- Take a bus from Javea to Benidorm, operated by ALSA.
- From Benidorm, catch the tram (Line 1) to Alicante.
- Change to Line 3 or 4 at the “Mercado” stop and get off at the “Costa Blanca” stop.
- From there, it’s a short walk to Playa de Almadraba.
The total journey time by bus and tram is around 3 hours, including transfers. Be sure to check the latest travel advisories and schedules before setting out on your journey.
Regardless of how you choose to travel, the journey from Javea to Playa de Almadraba is part of the adventure, offering beautiful views of the Costa Blanca’s stunning coastline along the way.
In conclusion, Playa de Almadraba offers a unique blend of tranquillity, natural beauty, and convenience within Alicante’s lively beach scene. It’s a place where you can enjoy a slower pace, away from the crowd, yet still benefit from the city’s amenities. For those who seek a peaceful retreat, yet still want to remain close to the city, Playa de Almadraba is the perfect destination. So grab your beach towel and come to discover this hidden gem in the heart of Alicante.